The cake is one of the favorite desserts for many people. Both children, as well as adults, love to eat the delicious cake. You can make a tasty cake with a variety of ingredients and flavors. The apple cake with frosting will provide a deeply satisfying taste. In this article, we describe the recipe for the old-fashioned apple cake with brown sugar frosting. This moist and soft cake is ideal for serving with coffee or even cold milk. You must read the following article attentively as we describe every detail about the preparation of this delicious cake.
Ingredients For Old-Fashioned Apple Cake
- 2 1/3 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (approx. 276g)
- Two teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Two large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar (approx. 330g)
- 1 cup diced toasted walnuts or pecans
- Eight tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Apple Pie Spice
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger and ground nutmeg
- 4 cups finely chopped apple, peeled and cored
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Seven tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted (approx. 255g)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First of all, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Take a 9″ x 13″ pan and grease it lightly.
- Take all the ingredients of the cake except nuts and apple. Mix all of them in a large bowl. Stop mixing when the mixture becomes uniform crumbly.
- Now combine the apple and nuts in the mixture. Mix until the apple release their juice and mixture transforms into a thick batter. It will take around three minutes to get this batter using a stand mixer at low speed.
- Transfer this prepared batter into the greased pan. Smooth the top using your fingers.
- Bake it for around 45 minutes. For testing, you can insert the toothpick in the middle. It must come out clean or just a few crumbs on it. Moreover, the temperature of the center of this cake must be around 205 degrees F.
- Now, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
To Make The Frosting
- Take the confectioners’ sugar and sift it onto a wax paper or into a mixing bowl.
- Place a medium-sized pan over the heat and melt the butter in it. Now, combine, salt, and brown sugar and cook with stirring until the sugar began melting and the mixture becomes smooth. You will notice that melted butter will now not pool at the top of the sugar. However, there can be some grittiness in the sugar. Now, pour the milk in the mixture and bring it to boil.
- Remove it from the heat and then transfer this syrup to the mixing bowl of medium size. Let this mixture cool in this bowl for around 10 minutes.
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar into the bowl having syrup. Now, add vanilla extract into that syrup. Don’t allow the frosting to cool too much as it can stiffen quickly.
- Spread the warm frosting on the entire cake.
- After that, cut the cake at room temperature into a square shape. You can store it at room temperature with covered. Moreover, keep it on the refrigerator if you want to store it for a longer time.